I submitted a project proposal to participate in this year’s Google Summer of
As I am curious about the DRM subsystem and have already started to work
in contributing to it, I was looking for an organization that supports this
subsystem. So, I applied to the X.Org foundation and proposed a project to
Improve VKMS using IGT GPU Tools.
Luckily, in May 4th, I received a e-mail
from GSoC announcing that I was accepted! Happy happy happy!
Observing a conversation in #dri-devel channel, I realized that my project was
the only one accepted on X.Org. WoW! I have no idea why the organization has
only one intern this year, and even more, that this is me! Imediately after I
received the result, Trevor Woerner congratulated me and kindly announced my
project on his Twitter profile! It was fun to know that he enjoyed the things that I
randomly posted in my blog, and was so nice to see that he read what I wrote!
I finished my last post talking about a patch to fix the XRGB operation in
compute crc function (VKMS).
After I began a simple change in the cursor behavior in VKMS, many related
issues started to appear. My initial task seemed simple, sending a proposal to
enable cursor by default when loading the vkms module. However, I have now
spent a lot of time untangling issues that troubled me to validate that change.
In this post, I talk a little about my first steps to introduce myself to the
DRM community, a Linux subsystem from which I am looking to learn more and