As the GSoC coding time officially started this week (01/06/2020), this post is a line between my activities in the period of community bonding and the official development of my project. I used the last month to solve issues in my development environment, improve the tool that supports my development activity (kworflow), and study concepts and implementations related to my GSoC project.
Besides e-mail, IRC chat, and Telegram, my mentor (Siqueira) and I are meeting every Wednesday on Jitsi, where we also use tmate for terminal sharing. We also use, together with Trevor, a spreadsheet to schedule tasks, report my daily activity, and write any suggestions.
Issues in my development environment
Probably you have already had this kind of pending task: a problem that trouble your work but you can go ahead with it, therefore you postpone until the total tiredness. So, I have some small issues on my vm: from auth to update kernel process that I was postpone forever. The first I solved with some direct setup and the last led me for the second task: improve kworkflow.
Improvements for a set of scripts that facilitate my development day-to-day
The lack of support on kworkflow for deployment on vm drove me to start hacking the code. As updating vm needs understanding things more complex, I started developing soft changes (or less integrated with the scripts structure). This work is still in progress, and after discuss with others kworkflow developers (on the issue, on IRC and on voice meetings), the proposals of changes were refined.
Study concepts and code related to my GSoC project
The first phase of my project proposal orbits the IGT test kms_cursor_crc. I have already a preliminar experience with the test code; however, I lack a lot of knowledge of each steps and concepts behing the implementation. Bearing this in mind, I used part of the community bonding time to immerse myself in this code.
Checking issues in a patchset that was reported by IGT CI
My first project task is to find out why it is not possible to access debugfs files when running kms_cursor_crc (and fix it). Two things could help me solve it: learning about debugfs and dissecting kms_cursor_crc. To guide my studies, my mentor suggested taking a look at a patchset for the IGT write-back test implementation that CI reported a crash on debugfs_test for i915. For this investigation, I installed on another machine (an old netbook) a Debian without a graphical environment, and, accessing via ssh, I applied the patches and ran the test. Well, everything seemed to work (and the subtests passed). Perhaps something has been fixed or changed in IGT since the patchset was sent. Nothing more to do here.
IGT_FORCE_DRIVER=i915 build/tests/debugfs_test IGT-Version: 1.25-gf1884574 (x86_64) (Linux: 4.19.0-9-amd64 x86_64) Force option used: Using driver i915 Force option used: Using driver i915 Starting subtest: sysfs Subtest sysfs: SUCCESS (0,009s) Starting subtest: read_all_entries Subtest read_all_entries: SUCCESS (0,094s) Starting subtest: read_all_entries_display_on Subtest read_all_entries_display_on: SUCCESS (0,144s) Starting subtest: read_all_entries_display_off Subtest read_all_entries_display_off: SUCCESS (0,316s)
Diving into the kms_cursor_crc test
I’m writing a kind of anatomy from the kms_cursor_crc test. I chose the alpha-transparent subtest as a target and then followed each step necessary to achieve it, understanding each function called, parameters, and also abstractions. I am often confused by something that once seemed clear. Well, it comes to graphic interface stuff and is acceptable that theses abstraction will disorientate me LOL I guess… The result of this work will be my next post. In the meantime, here are links that helped me on this journey